World’s first robotic visualisation system for the digital OR of tomorrow
The RoboticScope® works similarly to an operating microscope, in which it visualises the finest structures. It combines the advantages of the exoscope with those of the microscope in a unique, novel concept. The difference is the separation of the oculars (image display) and the 3D camera (image acquisition) and their guidance by a high-precision robot arm, which operates with an accuracy of 0.02mm. The surgeon detaches himself from the rigid position at the eyepiece, acts freely and receives a 3D image via the Head-Mounted-Display (HMD) through 2 microdisplays, which is even finer than the human eye can perceive. With the HMD (microsensors) he intuitively controls the robot, respectively the camera system and lets the “eye” circle around the situs. The RoboticScope® is fully digital, which opens up completely new possibilities for operating.
RoboticScope®: Camera, Robot, Corpus
Good products are created by combining existing technologies, the best of all worlds, in a completely new way and by creating an innovative, disruptive idea. This is exactly what has happened with the RoboticScope®:
- A robot arm from a leading international Swiss company, tested many tens of thousands of times in the high-tech industry, has proven its worth and delivers top technology at affordable conditions. There is hardly a better and more precise way to design the leading arm.
- The 3D camera with its optics was created especially for the special requirements of microsurgeons and, thanks to its high magnification (up to a factor of 34x), offers a display of the finest structures.
- The Head-Mounted Display enables microdisplays to display images with a precision finer than the human eye can perceive. This also applies to the temporal resolution.
- The system is fully digital and modular, allowing cost-effective innovations to be made available to the surgeon and clinic quickly and easily. The RoboticScope does not age, but goes with the times.
The added value
Intuitive and dynamic as never before
Intuitively, we look at objects from different perspectives in order to grasp them correctly. And so it is of great importance for surgeons to be able to see the anatomy quickly and intuitively from different angles in order to make the right decisions.
With the RoboticScope®, the surgeon controls the camera via the robot using simple, intuitive head gestures. He does not have to put the instruments aside to take a different view, and can thus complete the procedure dynamically and without interruption.
In situations where the smallest structures are viewed with a high zoom factor, the depth of field is considerably reduced for physical reasons. To constantly realign and refocus the conventional microscope often takes a lot of effort and time. The high precession of the robot (0.02mm) makes this much easier and saves time.
free as never before
The surgical image is only defined by the camera position – the surgeon’s field of vision is independent of body and head posture. They see the situs in the eyepieces on their HMD. This is made possible by the separation of ocular and camera. Only when the main surgeon actively changes the camera position does the image change. This allows the surgeons to adopt an upright, ergonomic posture from which they can guide the instruments better and more safely, as well as improving their own posture, thus avoiding long-term health problems.
See like never before
The surgeon focuses on a specific anatomical structure. Then he has the possibility to view this structure from different angles during the operation, without having to put away the instruments. This special function is called “Orbit Mode”. While circling around the anatomy with simple, intuitive head movements, the structure in focus remains sharp. Even at high magnifications!
Simple as never before
The RoboticScope® is a fully digital system. Camera positions can be approached precisely. This results in many advantages:
- Before starting the operation, the robot arm can be moved to an extended position for quick and easy application of the sterile cover
- Before the first cut, the robot arm can be brought into an optimum working position by means of presettings in the system
- Working positions that have been approached can be stored and can be approached again with high precision (picture-in-picture), so the operators can operate between two areas and resume the exact position
- The surgeon himself can trigger video and photo recordings by head gestures and save them in real-time (Memory Stick). They are available immediately after the end of the operation
- The RoboticScope has a lifting and lowering device to make it easy to push
How is the system technically structured?
The robot arm comes from a renowned Swiss company and is used in the high-tech industry. It works with a high precession (0.02mm) and has proven itself ten thousand times in this environment. This gives you the security of having a sophisticated instrument at hand. At the same time, this is an economical solution, since the development costs can be allocated to much larger quantities than in medical technology due to scalation effects.
The 3D camera system consists of two channels (optics) that allow magnification up to a factor of 34x. There are 8 zoom levels (optical zooms) to choose from. For the picture format 4:3 was chosen, as this is more suitable for the requirements in the operating theatre than the 16:9 cinema format.
The HMD is used for image presentation via 2 high-resolution microdisplays and for controlling the camera system/roboticscope via microsensors. The resolution of the displays is finer than the human eye is able to resolve. A lifting/lowering device for the eyepieces is built into the HMD, so the operators can choose between macro and microscopic work. The eyepieces can easily be folded upwards by a head gesture. The weight of the HMD is approximately the same as a bicycle helmet. The HMD can be adapted to the shape of the surgeon’s head and is therefore comfortable to wear.
The RoboticScope is a fully digital system with an optical zoom. (no digital zoom) The lifting and lowering device makes it easy to move it from one operating area to another. Due to the digital nature of the system, hardware and software upgrades and updates can be made to keep the system up-to-date.
Wie funktioniert die Steuerung
Orbit Modus (spatialcircling around concrete anatomy)
Free View (Selecting the work area)
Focus (Focusing the situs)
8 zoom levels (magnification up to 34x)
Flexible working distances (300-600mm)
The HMD contains microsensors that measure the head movement of the surgeon. Thus, intuitively after pressing the foot switch (safety system) with head gestures, concrete symbols (see picture above) can be selected. The RoboticScope can be controlled “hands-free” either by raising and lowering the head, or by selecting concrete fields or by free head movements.
The advantages – today and tomorrow
Who are the actors
The manufacturer of RoboticScopes is BHS-Technologies GmbH in Innsbruck. This company was founded by the three engineers Burger, Hütter and Santek (“BHS”) with the aim of realigning microsurgery in its processes by means of modern, fully digital products and redesigning it through product innovations. Development and production are carried out in Innsbruck. Sales in Switzerland are handled by Stöckli Medical AG, Oberkirch. In 2019, BHS was named the most innovative company in Tyrol (Innovation Award) and the best start-up in Austria (future zone Award). The RoboticScope was introduced to the market by BHS Technologies in May 2020 after receiving the CE mark.
–Stöckli Medical AG
Stöckli Medical AG has been a family-run Swiss medical technology company for 10 years. Stöckli Medical is the exclusive distribution partner for the RoboticScope for all areas of microsurgery, including spine, trauma, ENT, neurosurgery and plastic surgery. Thanks to innovative products, tailor-made training programmes and high quality service, we support our partners in achieving their ambitions of optimal patient results. The company has over 20 employees, 8 of whom are responsible as product or sales specialists to ensure a high quality, competent service. Stöckli Medical offers high-quality training positions (commercial, mediamatics, trainees).
- Blog Stöckli
- Information doctors – Information purchasing
- BHS Homepage
- Video RoboticScope with English subtitles
- Video RoboticScope Gründer with English subtitles
- Video RoboticScope BHS Technologies
- Video RoboticScope Animatio
- Video Beitrag LUKS PD Dr. Scaglioni Plastische Chirurgie
- Video LUKS PD Dr. Scalioni Plastische Chirurgie
- Video Plastische Chirurgie Hornheide /Deutschland
- Video HNO Klink Regensburg Prof. Bohr
- Video HNO Klinik Wien Rudolfiner Haus Prof. Baumgartner – English